Survival Of The Fittest

Sunday, August 14, 2005

GTK+ 2.8.0 Slowness

Before I begin I will just say I have a preference towards KDE over GNOME, so you can see this as biased if you like, it most probably is but... GTK+ 2.8.0 was released recently, and I must say it's getting ridiculous, GTK+ wasn't the fastest toolkit in the world to begin with. But now 2.8.0 uses a new rendering backend (Cairo) which is even slower.

GNOME developers for a while now have ignored complaints from users about draw speed problems but they always come back with the reply

"What speed problem? I have no speed problem"

I just had to have a bit of fun with Thom, have a bit of honest fun about it, as he prefers GNOME over KDE, so we do have contrasting views a lot of the time, here's something I said in MSN Messenger, which Thom posted earlier on his blog.

Andrew: yeah, KDE is getting leaner and faster, where as GNOME
Developers ignore complaints about a slow inferior toolkit, and then to top it
off choose a slow rendering system... MUWAHAHAHAHAHA... [end troll]

Andrew: we might stick widgets everywhere, but at least our toolkit is
fast enough to draw them lol

Thom: lol

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home